Maya Abdominal Therapy
Are you a woman seeking healing and wellness within your pelvic bowl? Do you feel intuitively that this an integral center to you, an untapped reservoir of power and creativity? And that there may be some imbalance there…
I’m honored to offer The Arvigo Techniques of Maya Abdominal Therapy, which is a modality with a beautiful lineage (you can read more about it on the above website). The founder, Rosita Arvigo, trained with a Maya shaman for 13+ years, as well as with other healers, wise women and midwives, and is a deeply spiritual and highly effective physical practice for abdominal and pelvic healing.
Through massage of the abdominal and pelvic area, as well as the hip and sacrum area, we increase flow in these five areas: veins, arteries, nerves, lymph system, and energy, promoting optimal health and deep healing. I blend my training in this technique with my own bodywork style and intuition, to create a unique offering.
Is This Work For Me?
This work is beneficial for women in all stages of life, but you may find it especially helpful if you are seeking any of the following:
- You want to conceive (naturally or through IVF/IUI) and optimize your fertility
- To improve your menstrual cycle (heal pain, PMS, irregular cycles or ovulation)
- You are experiencing reproductive issues (PCOS, endometriosis, fibroids, cysts, amenorrhea, etc.)
- You are seeking healing from birth trauma and scar tissue/adhesions from a cesarean
- You have been struggling with digestive issues
- You’d like help with bringing your uterus back into an optimal position as preparation for pregnancy/birth or general postpartum care (or just overall health!)
Benefits of Maya Abdominal + Uterine Massage:
- Menstrual Cycles Your cycles can be painless, easy and even pleasurable. Symptoms such as tender breasts, PMS, painful or irregular periods, endometriosis, cysts, fibroids and more, is a sign of imbalance. Through increasing proper uterine circulation and cleansing, we can lay the foundation for a healthy hormonal system and alleviate many menstrual symptoms. This work also supports you in cultivating a healthy relationship with your body and its cyclic nature.
- Optimizing Fertility Many people call this type of massage Fertility Massage. Through helping restore the uterus and your other reproductive organs into alignment and increasing blood and energy flow, you increase the chances of conceiving (naturally or through ART/IVF/IUI) and maintaining a healthy pregnancy. Not only that, but this can support a healthy and easier birth, and postpartum healing. On an emotional and spiritual level, connecting with this part of yourself prepares you to trust in the wisdom of yourself to navigate motherhood.
- Postpartum Healing After pregnancy and birth, nourishing bodywork is essential for your healing. In addition to the deep emotional and spiritual changes, pregnancy itself also created changes to your pelvic floor muscles, abdominal and pelvic organs. This massage along with other practices such as belly wrapping and herbal pelvic steaming helps bring your organs back into alignment (especially after prolapse) and contributes to healing. After cesarean, this is excellent work for scar tissue and adhesions.
- Menopause Abdominal-pelvic massage is great for nourishing the times of perimenopause and menopause. This work relieves pelvic congestion and supports the cleansing and health of your uterus as you move into the next stage of life. It’s important for our wombs to be cleansed at this time as they shrink to a pre-pubescent size. This is a time of wisdom and potency, and through connecting to your feminine center and riding the waves of change, you can move into embodying the energy of the wise woman and gleaning the gifts of this time.
- Emotional Healing Women have unique life situations that impact us, and can affect our reproductive anatomy and emotional selves. From miscarriages and abortions, to sexual violations or negative imprints about what it means to be a woman, these memories and feelings get stored within our pelvic bowl and tissues and can cause disease. Working with the abdomen and pelvic space is sacred, and it can bring up some core issues. Working with your body in this way can help process difficult experiences held here related to your femininity and sexuality, and help integrate them.
- Well-Women Care Every woman deserves to know her reproductive anatomy and have the tools for her own healing. If you are interested in simply connecting to who you are as a woman and your reproductive anatomy, this work is a great investment in self-care. Sessions are meant to be informative, holistic and co-creative. You’ll experience a connectedness to your feminine center and what this means for you, receive knowledge about your unique body and learn many tools of self-healing, including an abdominal-pelvic self-massage routine for at home.
** While Maya Abdominal + Uterine Massage is great for most women, please note the following situations where this work is not advised:
- If you have an IUD (please contact me for alternate suggestions for your healing if you have this situation, I’m happy to help)
- If you currently have any cancer or active infection in your abdominal or pelvic region
- Postpartum: you can receive this massage 1-6 weeks after vaginal birth, or after your incision is healed if by cesarean
How many sessions do I need?
It depends on your situation and what your goals are. In general, I recommend a minimum of 3 sessions to see results. While it does require an investment of time, much of the work (and my passion!) is providing you with self-care tools and techniques from the very first appointment to take home with you.
If you have been dealing with very painful periods, severe digestive symptoms, fertility challenges or other imbalances for a long time, it may take longer to see results.
For fertility, I recommend starting 3 months before planning to conceive, and visiting 1-2 times per month on select days of your cycle.
What if I don’t have a uterus?
This type of bodywork is so helpful to women that have had a hysterectomy. It increases blood flow and reduces the presence, spreading and new formation of scar tissue, and helps align other abdominal and pelvic organs (the uterus, like other organs, is a space-holder). Along with the physical trauma from any surgery, there may be emotional elements that are helpful to process if it comes up.
How often should I book sessions if I want to optimize my fertility?
For optimizing your fertility, I recommend starting 3 months before planning to conceive, and visiting 1-2 times per month, scheduling between the end of your period and right before ovulation.
When you say ‘womb’, are you working internally?
Maya Abdominal massage is external only. I will be working on your abdomen from your sternum area to right above your pubic bone, and then on your back: sacrum, hips and tailbone (all over a sheet). Before I start the massage, I will explain exactly where I will be working, and guiding your hands to that area so you are comfortable. If you are seeking this, I do offer internal pelvic floor massage as part of my Holistic Pelvic Care sessions, and you can read more about that on the page above.
Does this type of massage hurt?
Nope, this work should not hurt! It’s helpful to know that this is less like a pleasurable Swedish massage that you may be used to, but more like specific bodywork techniques. Some women report how great it feels and especially afterward, their bellies feel lighter and their symptoms usually improve.
What Can You Expect During A Session?
Our first session is generally longer as we chat about you and your story and history and I share female anatomy education and information as interested. After, generally the following happens:
- Warm-up guided meditation with a hot pad and/or castor oil pack
- Upper and lower abdominal massage focused on aligning reproductive and abdominal organs
- Evaluation and massage techniques for structural alignment of spine, sacrum and hips
- Instruction in self-massage at-home techniques to enhance your healing
- Recommendation of complementary modalities, may be any of the following: herbal remedies, castor oil packs, belly wraps, herbal pelvic steaming, nutritional and/or lifestyle suggestions, and/or specific heart and womb centered meditations. Follow up documents will be sent with you to supplement.
Initial sessions are about 2 hours, while follow-up appointments are about 1.5 hours. Sessions are meant to be educational, connecting you to your body and anatomy, and co-created, creating a unique experience. I like to start with two sessions as a package (initial and follow-up) so that you fully know the technique and it can be very effective for you and your healing.
At this time, since coming back from maternity leave I am offering weekend mobile/in-your-home appointments in the Santa Fe area, or you can experience it via online/distance session (will include everything except bodywork).